Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Of Triton by Anna Banks


Title: Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy #2)
Author: Anna Banks
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mythology, Romance
Published: May 2013

My Rating: 4/5

Source: Publisher on NetGalley

Emma has just learned that her mother is a long-lost Poseidon princess, and now struggles with an identity crisis: As a Half-Breed, she’s a freak in the human world and an abomination in the Syrena realm below. Syrena law states that all Half-Breeds should be put to death.

As if that’s not bad enough, her mother’s reappearance among the Syrena turns the two kingdoms—Poseidon and Triton—against one another. Which leaves Emma with a decision to make: Should she comply with Galen’s request to keep herself safe and just hope for the best? Or should she risk it all and reveal herself—and her Gift—to save a people she’s never known?

Once again, Anna Banks infuses Emma and Galen's points of view with humor, intrigue, and waves of romance.


I loved the first book in the series so much that I had to read the second one right away!

The Syrena Legacy is a book series about syrena (not mermaids, they don't seem to like that word very much), who are able to transform themselves into humans, which is pretty awesome.

If you've read Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy #1 - you can find my review here), then you'll know that they leave us with a cliffhanger: Galen finds out that Nalia has been alive all along and who she really is.

This second book was great too, although I must admit that I liked the first one better. I'm blaming Nalia, never liked the woman.

Spoilers ahead.

So... Nalia is crazy. Like, really crazy. Normal people don't just drug their daughters and kidnap them!! How could she think, for even one second, that it would be a good idea?? Syrenas live for a very long time, my dear, are you just gonna run away with your kidnapped daughter forever?? Dear God... Leave it to Nalia to make the worst decisions EVER.

She's then obviously found and sees that Grom is actually alive. Because it was so hard to believe. Because after she thought she'd killed him she couldn't take just 5 seconds to see if he was actually dead...

Nalia also tells Emma the real story about her relationship with her dad, which I think must have hurt a lot, poor Emma. "Hey daughter, your father and I never loved each other. At all. You were an accident, and we've been lying all these years. Oh and I'm a royal syrena."

Not long after that we find out that Grom's not that bright either, since he had just become Paca's mate, because he doesn't trust his siblings. I would not have cared about that, until the moment he says that Galen's next in line to become Nalia's mate... Uhm, yeah. He's supposed to "marry" his girlfriend's mom / brother's girlfriend.


Seriously Grom, that's what you get for mating with Jagen's daughter. Stupid.

Then Nalia gets her butt in jail, because Jagen. And the only person who stops for a second and decides to use his brain is Toraf. I was so hoping they would bring Emma with a bunch of sharks and killer whales, and that's exactly what Toraf and Emma thought. For real, people, thinking is allowed. Thinking is good.

But no, Galen doesn't agree on that, because he actually thought his best friend was turning his back on him and stabbing him in the back. It was SO very obvious that Toraf was planning something, Galen.

And this is when things start getting better and really exciting!! :3 Because, after Emma shows up with all those sea creatures and everyone just stares in awe, we find out that Rayna and Galen both have Triton's gift... And thank God that explains the humongous fin.

And Emma just loves the humongous fin.

"I like your big fin, I think it's sexy"

Syrena flirting is just precious.


After all this, stupid Jagen gets himself caught by humans. So, of course, the royals must use their gifts to save him, so humans don't get to know about them. And is it just me or do the Archives have a lot of nerve, asking for Emma's help, seeing that she's a royal with Poseidon's gift but still referring to her as "half-breed". She's your princess, dude! And she just saved you from Jagen, show some respect!

Of course, Jagen doesn't make things easy when they're trying to get him back. Seriously Jagen, just chill, you can't run away now, you're just embarrassing yourself.

And this is when we'd be all "Hooray! Everything turned out just fine!!"... Until Rachel.


That was not supposed to happen, man. It wasn't.

End of spoilery section.

So, as you can see, there are a lot of emotions when reading this. It was very entertaining, I loved it! :) Although I'm still not completely sure I want to keep reading the series... I mean, this ending was just great. I'll consider reading the rest if just for Galen's and Emma's cuteness, they're adorable.

Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot and I definitely recommend it, especially if you're into fantasy, mermaids and mythology. I'm almost sure that people who read the first book, and liked it, just felt like they had to read the second one, because we just have to know what would happen next!!

So have you read this series? Anything similar you'd recommend?

Thank you for reading! Bye-Bye! 

11 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I put a hold on the first one at my local library ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really great!! :D I hope you like it!! ^-^

      Delete
  2. This book sounds really interesting! This post makes me remember that I have to make some time in my current routine to read something new. I don't like the idea of not reading for a long period of time. I'll keep in mind this lovely recommendation of yours. :)
    By the way dear, I just posted the Blogger Recognition Award post!! (thank you so so much again!) I hope you like it!
    xx

    http//www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good :) I get what you mean, I don't usually have this much time to read, so I'm making the most of it and reading a lot!
      That's great!!! I'll go read it now :D

      Delete
  3. This sounds like something up my alley. I'm always on the look out for a good book recommendation. Thanks! :)

    www.urhappybunnie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh nice choice with the book. i always enjoy a good Twilight-esque book ;)

    TIFFANYXOXO.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that's a nice way to put it!! I'm glad you liked this :)

      Delete
  5. I don't know if I want to read Of Neptune either. If feels more of a spin-off than continuation of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And I really liked the way things ended here :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...